Wednesday, August 27, 2008

GOODBYE, GRANNY

My Granny passed away Tuesday morning. It has hit me harder than I thought it would. I mean, I knew it would affect me like Papaw's passing did, but I didn't think it would be this much. I lived next door to them practically my whole childhood. I can remember sitting in the rocking chair in their living room some days and not really having conversations, but just BEING with them. Sometimes we would all three just read. It sounds kind of weird I suppose, but for me it was comforting just to be there with them.

So anyway, I have been pretty emotional the past three days. The girls and I went to see her Monday evening and we knew then that she wasn't going to be with us much longer. I regret that I didn't go see her a couple of days earlier when she was still somewhat responsive. I told her I loved her and I hope that on some level of consciousness she heard me. Who knows though? She had a fever of 105 degrees and had been given morphine so it's probably unlikely that she even knew we were there.

I don't know. What I do know is that she took care of me when I was little and throughout my high school and college years and I will miss her.

7 comments:

Helena said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear this, no words can help, but you are in my thoughts!!!

xxxxx ((((HUGS))))

🌈🌈🌈 said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Granny.{{big hugs}}

Jen said...

Laura, I'm so sorry to hear this! Sending you big hugs!!

ValAnn said...

So sorry to hear that... take care in the days ahead. I'll be thinking/praying for you.

Veroncia Butler said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. My granny passed away Christmas Eve 2001. It still hurts for her not to be here. But I know she is in a better place and watching over me. Hold on to your memories and find comfort in them.

Lydia Siegel said...

Im not sure if you said anything on SBC about her passing. Im so sorry to hear and tons of HUGS!

senora_x said...

laura, Thanks for stopping by my blog! I miss keeping in touch with you! Sorry to hear about your grandma! It is never easy losing a loved one and it sounds like you shared a special relationship!