Tuesday, May 27, 2008

SHRIMP, SPINACH & TORTELLINI

One more entry for today so I can share a new favorite recipe with you. I am striving to be healthier. Notice I didn't say "thinner." Thinner would be fantastic, but whenever I try to go on a diet, I end up sabotaging any weight loss that might happen. It's a pyschological thing, you know. If I'm on a diet and I "can't" have something, well then, of course I want it for sure and I'm not happy until I devour it. So this summer we are eating HEALTHY. A few months ago I started gagging every time I would see meat so I haven't eaten much chicken, pork or beef at all lately. I thought I was on my way to becoming a vegetarian but I've done a little research on that and now realize that I am a "pescatarian." I am a pescatarian because I eat fish and seafood. I love fish and seafood so I don't see me giving that up any time soon which is good because we all need our protein, right? You can believe me when I say there is no way I'm eating beans and tofu for every meal. I actually like beans of any kind, but as you all know they aren't usually something we can eat 3 times a day, 7 days a week. It would be a gastronomic nightmare. And tofu... well, let's just say eating a rubbery piece of cardboard box isn't on my list of acceptable foods either. So I have been searching for delicious meatless and/or seafood dishes to serve for my family. They haven't missed meat apparently because I haven't fixed any since before Easter and no one's said anything.

So here's my seafood recipe of the week. My family loved it (even my 4-yr-old). It's low-fat, low-calorie, highly nutritious and oh-so-yummy! If you try it, post a comment and let me know what you thought of it. Enjoy!

SHRIMP, SPINCAH & TORTELLINI

1 (9 oz.) pkg cheese tortellini
1/4 c. fat free Italian salad dressing
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14.5 oz.) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
3/4 lb. cleaned and cooked med. shrimp
1 (6 oz.) bag baby spinach leaves
1/4 c. fresh basil, chopped
2 T. grated Parmesan cheese

Cook tortellini in large (4 qt.) sauce pan according to pkg. directions. Drain in colander and set aside. Heat Italian dressing in same pan on med.-high heat. Add garlic; cook 1 min. Add tomatoes and shrimp; mix well. Bring just to a boil. Stir in spinach; cover. Simmer 1 to 2 mins. or until spinach is wilted, stirring occasionally. Stir in tortellini and basil; simmer uncovered 3 to 4 mins. or until sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally (over stirring will make the tortellini mushy so be careful). Top with grated parmesan cheese and serve. Serves 4 (pretty large helpings)

0 comments: