Friday, June 6, 2008

BLOG CHALLENGE #5: VACATION MEMORY

I have taken a lot of vacations in my 39 years. And with the exception of one, I have enjoyed all of them. Some more than others of course, but there has only been one that I couldn't wait to get over with. That was the houseboat vacation we took in Kentucky when I was 7 months pregnant with Claire. It was the most boring vacation I have ever been on. I was stuck in a boat on a lake with nothing but a couple of John Grisham novels, my parents, my husband, our 4-yr-old, a VCR and three video tapes (one of which was "Arthur's New Baby" that we watched close to 50 times), some Barbie coloring books & crayons, six days of 90+ degree weather, two nights of severe thunderstorms, fishing, fishing and more fishing (which gets old very quickly) and it sucked. When the highlight of your week is a trip to Walmart, you know it's BAD. And when you are trying to think of any reason whatsoever to GO TO WALMART, well, then it officially qualifies as the worst vacation ever. I have vowed to never go on another houseboat vacation. Put me on a cruise ship to the Cayman Islands, but don't even think about trying to get me on a houseboat on a river. Not gonna happen.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Oh, I hear ya on the houseboat vacations - we did a similar vacation (before kids though) on a houseboat on the 1000 islands in NY and I couldn't wait for it to be over!

Helena said...

LOL, poor you, it must of been so horrible for you!!!!

But I am sorry the way you wrote it gave me a nice little giggle!!!

LAURA said...

That's okay. I aim to entertain!